Uncommented Bytes

Monday, May 22, 2006

IE Left Margin Missing Bug

This one has been bugging me for a long time before finding the answer today...

In IE I couldn't get absolute positioned elements in our left-hand Search pane to appear correctly. The would get pushed onto our right-hand content pane. After thinking about it overnight (well, over multiple nights) I realized that IE was not noticing our negative left or right margins (One True Layout stuff).

A search today reveals the answer from PositionIsEverything
If #wrapper is static or relative, it must have a width, or it and the <DIV> it contains will lose their left margins in IE. If it's absolute, lack of a 'width' will not trigger the bug.


So I went back through and added width:100% or width:998px to the container divs that were position:static or position:relative. Everything now works beautifully!

All of this stems from my desire to use script.aculo.us local autocompletion (which requires an absolutely positioned list) to replace a VERY long drop down select list that we have.

1 Comments:

  • Well I think IE sucks big jungle nuts. WTF are these people doing with their billion dollar budget?

    Anyway.. thanks for the deliberation... it just helped me great!

    Jitsu Wan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 May, 2009 03:45  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home