Uncommented Bytes

Thursday, May 19, 2005

nullpointer on weblogic fixed

I have fixed the problem from my last post, and put the answer here:dev2dev Online

It seems that weblogic was not noticing the changes so it was not redeploying. This is because we are exploding our ear in development. I changed our ant script to always overwrite the META-INF directory containing the application.xml file. This is forcing weblogic to refresh the application correctly (like it would if an entire ear file had changed), and the problem is now gone.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Deploy error after recompiling with struts on weblogic

I have posted the same question at BEA's dev2dev Online

We are getting the following stacktrace when hitting the application for the first time after a redeploy. We are running on Weblogic, and the problem goes away after restarting the app or redeploying throught the console. Has anyone seen this before?


java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.getServletContext(RequestPr
ocessor.java:1136)
at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition(
TilesRequestProcessor.java:180)
at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(Ti
lesRequestProcessor.java:309)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.ja
va:279)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:148
2)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run
(ServletStubImpl.java:971)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
pl.java:402)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:28)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.ja
va:27)
at com.proprietary.LoggingFilter.doFilter(LoggingFilter.java:69)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.ja
va:27)
at com.proprietary.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:159)

at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.ja
va:27)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationActio
n.run(WebAppServletContext.java:6356)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(Authenticate
dSubject.java:317)
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:
118)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppSe
rvletContext.java:3635)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestIm
pl.java:2585)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)


Edited 5/19/2004:
I have found a fix, and posted a new entry about it. It dealt with our development deployment using an exploded ear.